We work to assist migrants, refugees, asylum seekers and their communities in areas including learning English, preparing children for school, counselling, and connection with local churches.
We work in partnership with churches to run nearly 100 classes in the Sydney Diocese which use English Second Language (ESL) ministry as a part of their community outreach. We equip and train them to reach out to migrants and refugees with varying levels of English. ESL ministry is a practical way to assist those needing to learn English and adjust to a new culture.
About the role:
The purpose of this very rewarding role is to inspire, equip and support local churches as they reach out and respond practically to their multi-cultural communities and under God make Jesus known. The role will be based in the North Shore, as you will be assisting parishes within the North Sydney Diocese.
- Maintain ongoing and regular communication with Cross Cultural Advisors, Anglicare Community Services staff, the Partnership Development Team, volunteer teachers and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that the volunteer teachers are equipped in all aspects of ESL, teaching methods, Bible use and cross cultural principles by providing appropriate training and resources.
- Also ensure that the volunteer teachers are cared for by supporting, encouraging and visiting classes. As well as meeting regularly with the teams in parishes.
- Assist with creating increased awareness of cross cultural services provided by Anglicare by promoting services to parishes and within the community as directed by the Program Manager.
- Contribute to resourcing volunteers by linking church volunteers with relevant community services (both Anglicare and external) to assist the people they serve.
- Provide informative data related to ESL classes and cross cultural work by maintaining the ESL data base.
- Assist with identifying and developing opportunities to establish or expand Cross Cultural support, including ESL, in the Diocese.
Skills, knowledge and experience needed:
- Tertiary qualifications - Post Graduate TESOL Qualification
- Current NSW Driver’s Licence
- Valid Working with Children’s Check
- Previous experience teaching ESL
- Personal Christian commitment and a missional motivation.
- Excellent communication skills
If you are looking for a great new opportunity in 2019 to partner with local parishes and establish and expand this fantastic program, we would love to hear from you!
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates are encouraged to apply.
Anglicare - Jesus Christ honoured, lives enriched and communities strengthened.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as applications may be reviewed prior to the closing date; and as such the closing date is subject to change without notice.